There’s no question that a good rimfire rifle is essential in basic hunting. Having a .22 rifle in your gun cabinet is perfect for anyone with a hunting license or a homey cabin in the northern woods. With ease of fire and very little kickback, a .22 can be perfect for the beginner. Nothing adds to the quality of a good rifle, though, like a good scope.
A scope is going to improve accuracy and allow you to take more time and thought into your long range shots. It can also be the difference between a begrudging look of disappointment or a grin at making your first kill. When choosing a scope, you will have a number of options. Whether you want a holographic scope or a long ranged scope is the biggest decision to make.
The Best Scopes for your .22 Reviewed
Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire 3-9×40
Decades of optical development and manufacturing by Leupold has shown why the VX-Freedom is the embodiment of reliability, accuracy, and extreme clarity.
The VX-Freedom Rimfire 3-9×40 delivers on Leupold’s legendary performance and dependability by allowing the user to unleash her inner rimfire and enjoy countless hours of shooting and hunting. This dedicated rimfire scope will maximize the experience of using your 22 caliber rifle with its unique rimfire features such as a closer 60 yard focus setting and Rimfire MOA reticle with repeatable ¼ MOA precision finger clicks for simple adjustments.
Like all Leupold optics, the VX-Freedom Rimfire is enhanced by the Twilight Light Management System for superb visibility in low-light conditions. Durable, compact, and lightweight; making it a great scope for the money.
One of the best 22 scope that offers next generation quality and best-in-class optics that produce crisp, clear images and repeatable accuracy for your rimfire rifle.
Bushnell AR Optics Rifle Scope 1-4×24
The Bushnell AR Optics 1-4×24 a great rifle scope with outstanding value that is a perfect starter optic for rimfire AR-platform shooters on a modest budget.
It is a highly capable and fast-deploying, low-power variable optic (LPVO) with lots of features that will enhance your AR rimfire rifle.
The 1-4×24 model features the “Drop Zone 223” BDC SFP reticle with holdovers out to 600 yards. A Thrown Down PCL power change lever that offers nearly instantaneous magnification changes for fast target acquisition. Fully-Multi Coated Optics deliver crisp images in any lighting condition.
The AR Optics 1-4×24 is a best 22 scope for budget shooters that will deliver clear and accurate shots at short-range to 100+ yards.
Simmons .22 MAG 3-9x32mm Rimfire Scope
The Simmons .22 MAG 3-9×32 continues the tradition of being one of the most popular and affordable rimfire scopes on the market. It is a best 22 scope with big-game performance quality that is excellent for small-game hunting and plinking.
This riflescope belongs to the feature-rich, ruggedly built Simmons family of scopes. Shot-after-shot the Simmons .22 MAG delivers stunning on-game performance, reliability, and overall value. It features fully-coated optics and a complete set of mounting rings.
Its SureGrip adjustments make for easy tuning, especially while wearing gloves. The QTA (Quick Target Acquisition) eyepiece delivers a constant 3.5” of eye relief throughout the entire magnification range.
The .22 MAG 3-9×32 Rimfire Scope is just as well made as more expensive scopes and is definitely one of the best 22 scope in its price range.
Top Selling .22 Optics on Amazon
- The 2-7x32 Crossfire II Rimfire riflescope is one of many configurations in the Crossfire II line. The V-Plex reticle is a popular all-purpose hunting reticle intended for a variety of hunting applications.
- With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you'll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
- Anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views for the user.
- Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
- A single piece tube constructed from aircraft grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance. O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Crossfire II delivers waterproof and fog proof performance.
- Specification: 3-9x40
- Magnification: 3-9x
- Objective Diameter: 1.57
- Exit pupil: 0.2
- Length: 12.20
- Ring diameter: 1 inch
- Height: X-High
- Material steel
- Steel construction
- Amazing scope and strength retention
- Precision machined from aircraft grade aluminum alloy with anodized matte black finish
- Complete with stop pin for solid rock application
- Ring base designed with hex locking screws to firmly fit airgun mounts / Dovetail dimensions .22
- Reversible lock plate to fit full range of airgun / .22 rails
- Model #57323 - Rifleman Rings 1" - . 22 RF 3/8-inch Detachable See-Thru Rings with a Matte finish
- Precision machined from aircraft grade aluminum
- Includes all mounting screws
- Double scope ring mount for 11mm dovetail rail, specialized scope mount for Airgun/.22 Rails.
- Design in hollowed-out configuration between the ring and the bottom of the base, to release heavy duty when clamping your scope.
- Lightweight: 1.15oz per ring. High profile, 20mm/0.79in gap from base of mount to bottom of rings. ( Item height: 1.97'')
- The ring is for most scopes which are in 1''/ 25.4mm scope tube.
- With only 1 rail clamp screw and 1 scope clamp screw per side, quick and easy to install. Precision and Repeatable Alignment.
- No Need for Base
The best scope for a .22, according to gun nuts everywhere, is the Leupold VX-2. While its predecessor is the best-selling rimfire scope, the Leupold VX-1, the makers kept that classic design and fine-tuned it to create the VX-2. The Leupold VX-2 is all-around classic, by looks alone. It would mount nicely on any rifle, from a vintage, wooden, wild-west piece to a modern matte black frame. The design is one of, if not the most, classic looking pieces you can find.
The Leupold VX-2 comes with a 3-9x magnification, perfect for short or long range targets. This maybe comparable to some of our BSA scopes. With a wide field of view and low-end focus, it provides for maximum comfort and clarity, compared to other scopes. The variable magnification can be easily tweaked using the controls mounted atop and on the side of the scope.
Another great feature, especially for beginners, is the easy-to-use simple duplex reticle. The crosshairs are thick and bold, allowing for better sight of them during low-light situations. The classic design of the reticle itself, makes the scope even more classic in its use and functionality.
The main thing Leupold is famous for in its previous models is the crystal clear, glare-free glass that is used. No exceptions were made here, either. The glass is flawless and darkened at the edges, providing for little to no diffusion. Both lenses on either side of the scope are also multi-coated, protecting them from nicks and scratches while you are traipsing through the woods (check rifle reviews if you’re wondering what rifle to put the scope on).
The main complaint you will find with this scope is also the main compliment: It’s basic. Some fancy gun enthusiast will want a scope with more bells and whistles. They want a scope that makes them feel like the Predator, but in reality, in most cases, that’s not what you need. True hunters know that skill is more important than features and a basic, but timed true and tested scope is exactly the right kind of accessory to improve your game and help you get your game.