The legendary .308 Winchester is one of the most popular short-action hunting cartridges in the world. It’s used extensively for medium to big game targets, especially in North America, where it can easily take down all types of deer, large antelope, and black bears.
The average shooter can fire a .308 fairly accurately up to 200 yards. After that, the bullet starts to drop and velocity decreases rapidly. Even though the .308 has been improved to provide lighter recoil and greater long range energy, a scope is highly recommended to maximize the .308’s effective shooting range accuracy. With the right scope and training, a .308 rifle can do practically anything for a hunter or shooter up to 800 yards. A scope effectively takes the power of the .308, which once dominated the battlefield, and gives you superior range and accuracy on the hunting grounds.
You need to ask yourself several questions as a serious hunter or shooter in the market for the best scopes for your .308 rifle. How far away are your targets? Do you stalk your prey from a distance or get up close? Magnification power, objective lens diameter, zoom ratio, and optical clarity are some of the most important considerations. For long range shooting (350+ yards), look for 10x magnification and above. 6-9x is suitable for medium range (150-350 yards), and 1-6x is good for short range (150 yards or less). By the way, for a 2-7x33mm scope, the “2-7” means 2x to 7x magnification and “33mm” is the diameter of the light-gathering objective lens on the front of the scope.
Also, what type of rifle do you use? .308’s are ideal for bolt-action rifles, but some of the best .308 scopes are designed for the AR platform. How many rounds do you unload in a day? The .308 packs a punch and some scopes can withstand recoil and hold zero better than others.
The best scope for your 308 rifle is the one that suits your specific needs, so check out this superior selection:
The Best Scopes for your .308 Reviewed
Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7×33
The VX-Freedom riflescope line by Leupold represents legendary performance and reliability that shooters and long-range hunters have been counting on for decades.
Leupold scopes are designed for serious shooters with serious guns in mind. Guaranteed to deliver the job every time, the Leupold VX-Freedom features several new and improved features that make it one of the best scope for 308 caliber rifles.
It has a 3:1 zoom ratio for any shooting situation, Twilight Light Management System for optimal lowlight clarity (adding up to 20 extra minutes of shooting light), scratch-resistant lenses, lightweight compact design in 1 inch main tube, quick-grip power selector, multiple reticle and magnification options, and is available in AR, Rimfire, and Muzzleloader models It is 100% weatherproofed and impact tested on 3x the recoil of .308.
The centerfire model comes with a parallax set at 100 yards and 33mm objective lens for excellent light gathering capability. The Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7×33 is a high quality budget riflescope with great overall quality that is clean, clear, and sleek. A great scope for 308 rifles.
EOTech Vudu 1-6x24mm Precision Riflescope
The EOTech Vudu 1-6x Riflescope is a sleek and compact optic, packed with advanced features, and designed for serious hunters and 3-gun shooters. Moreover, the Vudu 1-6x is particularly well-suited for the AR platform and is one of the best scopes for 308 rifles you will find.
It features a Speed Ring reticle for super fast target acquisition at low power and superb resolution/accuracy at high power. The reticle also increases in size with magnification.
The XC High Density Glass provides impressive light transmission and clarity, especially at longer ranges. The EOTech Vudu 1-6x is a great scope for 308 caliber users who demand durability and accuracy over short and medium-range applications.
Sig Sauer Whiskey3 Rifle Scope 3-9×40 Hellfire Quadplex
Sig Sauer understands the importance of uncompromising accuracy and performance. The robust Sig Sauer Whiskey3 Riflescope is perfectly designed for short, medium, or long range engagements for big game hunting and recreational shooting.
Designed for traditional hunting rifles as well as MSR/AR platforms, the Whiskey3 is compatible across a wide variety of calibers and lighting conditions and is considered one of the best scope for 308 rifle sharpshooters.
It features a 3-9x optical zoom, in the second focal plane, and the patented HellFire illumination reticle system that utilizes advanced fiber optic technology to vary the reticle intensity from infrared to “HellFire bright” depending on the conditions.Try fireing some Winchester ammo through that!
A low dispersion glass provides superior optical clarity and a European style eyepiece provides a smooth and fast reticle adjustment. The Whiskey 3 Hellfire is designed to handle the stress of 308 caliber rounds and still be extremely accurate at long ranges. It is a great optic for your 308 rifle at a great price.
Burris Fullfield E1 2-7x35mm
The Burris Fullfield E1 2-7x35mm is one of the smallest and most affordable scope for 308 rifles around and is geared towards tree-stand hunters and short to medium-range engagements.
It is an entry-level optic that provides superb clarity and low light transmission. The compact build of this riflescope keeps things simple and focused, while a 2x starting zoom gives the user a very wide field of view to survey the immediate surroundings. You can mount this scope very low on your 308 due to its small 35mm objective lens.
It features straightforward and compatible Ballistic Plex E1 reticle crosshairs that make it easy for the shooter to determine holdover at distance and hold-off for wind drift, with lower vertical hash marks to assist in dead-on acquisition from 100 to 500 yards.
Offering good firearm balance and eye relief, the Fullfield E1 is one of the most simple and best scopes for 308 enthusiasts who desire a simple and sophisticated optic with excellent accuracy.
Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm Rifle Scope
Part of the renowned Bushnell Banner Riflescopes series, the Banner 4-12x40mm is an outstanding high-power, variable scope for 308 shooters in long-range centerfire applications.
It features the Multi-X reticle which offers a classic sight picture and stunning HD clarity that excels in early-morning and late-evening lighting conditions — the crucial times of the day when the best hunters tag most of their game. Perfect for muzzleloaders or centerfire 308 rifles, this is a high-power, variable scope for long-range shooting.
It offers the classic Multi-X reticle sight and features Dusk & Dawn Brightness (DBB) multi-coated lenses that deliver bright, high-contrast images in low light conditions. You are sure to maximize your big-game hunting day with these precious additional minutes of clear focus.
Moreover, the Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm is very durable and will hold constant zero after hundreds of rounds. Dropping or banging this best scope for 308 will not make a difference in its ability to hold zero.
Waterproof with O-ring sealed optics that stay dry, fogproof with Argon-filled optics that are stable regardless of ambient temperature, and shockproof.
Top Selling .308 Optics on Amazon
- BATTERY-FREE ILLUMINATION: Features a tritium/fiber optic illuminated reticle that automatically adjusts the brightness based on available light
- RUGGED ALUMINUM-ALLOY HOUSING: Forged 7075-T6 aircraft-aluminum-alloy housing provides for a nearly indestructible sighting system
- “BOTH EYES OPEN” DESIGN: The ACOG can be used as a CQB sight when shooting “both eyes open,” utilizing the Bindon Aiming Concept
- COMBAT PROVEN: No other magnifed optic has been used more in combat than the ACOG
- BULLET DROP COMPENSATING & RANGING RETICLE: The red Chevron ranging reticle allows for bullet drop compensation out to 800 meters for .308
- Package dimensions - 8.128 cm L X 9.144 cm W X 40.132 cm H
- Package weight - 1.769 kilograms
- Country of Origin: United States
- Product Type : Sporting Goods
- Sport type: Hunting
- Variable 1-8x magnification second focal plane scope features the ACSS Standard reticle for 184.108.40.2068
- ACSS reticle combines BDC, wind holds, moving target leads, and range estimation in an easy to use system
- Partial red illumination with 11 brightness settings powered by a common CR2032 battery
- Waterproof, fog resistant and nitrogen purged with a 6063-aluminum scope body and black anodized finish
- Fully multicoated lenses
- 4-16x Magnification, 50mm objective, 3.5" - 3.6" of eye relief
- First Focal Plane ACSS HUD DMR .308 reticle
- 30mm main tube, High strength one-piece 6061-T6 aluminum body
- Compact design is 13.8" long and weighs just 23.5 Oz
- Premium grade glass, Steel-on-Steel precision adjustments
- BDC reticle calibrated for 223 and 308 ammo
- Exposed, lockable turrets
- Red/green illuminated reticle
- Second focal plane reticle
- 30mm tubed scope
- The 3-12x56 Adjustable Objective Hog Hunter Crossfire II riflescope excels when hunting in the lowest light. The V-Brite reticle and over-sized objective allow hunters to take shots from heavy cover with the utmost confidence in tough light conditions .
- The adjustable objective provides image focus and parallax removal to the shooter while anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views.
- With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you'll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
- Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
- A single piece tube constructed from aircraft grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance. O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Crossfire II delivers waterproof and fogproof performance.
- Durability and perfomance are the pillars of the Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40 riflescope. VMR-1 MOA reticle can be used to effectively determine ranges, holdovers, windage corrections and moving target leads.
- Extra-low dispersion glass and XR fully multi-coated lenses give the brightest views possible. The extremely accurate hashmarked based reticle works especially well at extended ranges.
- With distinctive, responsive dialing, the exposed tactical turrets are built with the shooter in mind. A zero reset feature keeps zeroing simple and quick.
- Strong o-ring seals, nitrogen purging, and shockproof construction guarantees rugged, waterproof and fogproof performance.
- The Diamondback Tactical offers features that will benefit any rifle platform.
- Magnification: 6-24x
- Objective Diameter: 50mm
- Field Of View: 28 ft @ 100 yards
- Click Value: 1/8 inch @ 100 yards
- Illuminated Type of the rifle scope: Red and Green
- High performance tactical rifle scope with 4-16x magnification for mid to long distance shooting out to 800+ yards
- Functionally designed first focal plane MOA reticle, with easy-to-read ranging information that remains constant regardless of magnification, for faster range estimation and holdover correction
- Equipped with an adjustable objective lens - or AO - that allows for sharper focus of the target image, elimination of parallax, and range estimation
- Aircraft grade aluminum construction with a 30mm sealed, nitrogen charged tube for resistance to water and fog
- 6061 grade aluminum construction with a rugged MIL-STD 8625 type III hard anodized outer finish
- Use todays most popular calibers with BDC turrets, giving more precise shop placement than BDC reticles
- New wind hold reticle
- Coating bonds to exterior lens surfaces, and repels water, oil, fog, dust and debris.
- Folding Throw lever for the quickest power changes imaginable
Some Concluding Words
There is a reason why these highly respected brands have been trusted by hunters and shooters for decades. They offer superior quality and reliability to maximize the effectiveness of your .308 rifle. These scopes are sleek, sophisticated, and packed with features. They all provide excellent optical clarity, light transmission, and fast target acquisition.
These brands were chosen because they represent the best in research, design, and testing. They have been tirelessly engineered to suit your needs. Try one of these scopes out and you’ll take your shooting to the next level. You’ll probably never look at your .308 in the same light ever again.