The legendary .308 Winchester is one of the most popular short-action hunting cartridges in the world. It’s used extensively for medium to big game targets, especially in North America, where it can easily take down all types of deer, large antelope, and black bears.
The average shooter can fire a .308 fairly accurately up to 200 yards. After that, the bullet starts to drop and velocity decreases rapidly. Even though the .308 has been improved to provide lighter recoil and greater long range energy, a scope is highly recommended to maximize the .308’s effective shooting range accuracy. With the right scope and training, a .308 rifle can do practically anything for a hunter or shooter up to 800 yards. A scope effectively takes the power of the .308, which once dominated the battlefield, and gives you superior range and accuracy on the hunting grounds.
You need to ask yourself several questions as a serious hunter or shooter in the market for the best scopes for your .308 rifle. How far away are your targets? Do you stalk your prey from a distance or get up close? Magnification power, objective lens diameter, zoom ratio, and optical clarity are some of the most important considerations. For long range shooting (350+ yards), look for 10x magnification and above. 6-9x is suitable for medium range (150-350 yards), and 1-6x is good for short range (150 yards or less). By the way, for a 2-7x33mm scope, the “2-7” means 2x to 7x magnification and “33mm” is the diameter of the light-gathering objective lens on the front of the scope.
Also, what type of rifle do you use? .308’s are ideal for bolt-action rifles, but some of the best .308 scopes are designed for the AR platform. How many rounds do you unload in a day? The .308 packs a punch and some scopes can withstand recoil and hold zero better than others.
The best scope for your 308 rifle is the one that suits your specific needs, so check out this superior selection:
The Best Scopes for your .308 Reviewed
Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7×33
The VX-Freedom riflescope line by Leupold represents legendary performance and reliability that shooters and long-range hunters have been counting on for decades.
Leupold scopes are designed for serious shooters with serious guns in mind. Guaranteed to deliver the job every time, the Leupold VX-Freedom features several new and improved features that make it one of the best scope for 308 caliber rifles.
It has a 3:1 zoom ratio for any shooting situation, Twilight Light Management System for optimal lowlight clarity (adding up to 20 extra minutes of shooting light), scratch-resistant lenses, lightweight compact design in 1 inch main tube, quick-grip power selector, multiple reticle and magnification options, and is available in AR, Rimfire, and Muzzleloader models It is 100% weatherproofed and impact tested on 3x the recoil of .308.
The centerfire model comes with a parallax set at 100 yards and 33mm objective lens for excellent light gathering capability. The Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7×33 is a high quality budget riflescope with great overall quality that is clean, clear, and sleek. A great scope for 308 rifles.
EOTech Vudu 1-6x24mm Precision Riflescope
The EOTech Vudu 1-6x Riflescope is a sleek and compact optic, packed with advanced features, and designed for serious hunters and 3-gun shooters. Moreover, the Vudu 1-6x is particularly well-suited for the AR platform and is one of the best scopes for 308 rifles you will find.
It features a Speed Ring reticle for super fast target acquisition at low power and superb resolution/accuracy at high power. The reticle also increases in size with magnification.
The XC High Density Glass provides impressive light transmission and clarity, especially at longer ranges. The EOTech Vudu 1-6x is a great scope for 308 caliber users who demand durability and accuracy over short and medium-range applications.
Sig Sauer Whiskey3 Rifle Scope 3-9×40 Hellfire Quadplex
Sig Sauer understands the importance of uncompromising accuracy and performance. The robust Sig Sauer Whiskey3 Riflescope is perfectly designed for short, medium, or long range engagements for big game hunting and recreational shooting.
Designed for traditional hunting rifles as well as MSR/AR platforms, the Whiskey3 is compatible across a wide variety of calibers and lighting conditions and is considered one of the best scope for 308 rifle sharpshooters.
It features a 3-9x optical zoom, in the second focal plane, and the patented HellFire illumination reticle system that utilizes advanced fiber optic technology to vary the reticle intensity from infrared to “HellFire bright” depending on the conditions.Try fireing some Winchester ammo through that!
A low dispersion glass provides superior optical clarity and a European style eyepiece provides a smooth and fast reticle adjustment. The Whiskey 3 Hellfire is designed to handle the stress of 308 caliber rounds and still be extremely accurate at long ranges. It is a great optic for your 308 rifle at a great price.
Burris Fullfield E1 2-7x35mm
The Burris Fullfield E1 2-7x35mm is one of the smallest and most affordable scope for 308 rifles around and is geared towards tree-stand hunters and short to medium-range engagements.
It is an entry-level optic that provides superb clarity and low light transmission. The compact build of this riflescope keeps things simple and focused, while a 2x starting zoom gives the user a very wide field of view to survey the immediate surroundings. You can mount this scope very low on your 308 due to its small 35mm objective lens.
It features straightforward and compatible Ballistic Plex E1 reticle crosshairs that make it easy for the shooter to determine holdover at distance and hold-off for wind drift, with lower vertical hash marks to assist in dead-on acquisition from 100 to 500 yards.
Offering good firearm balance and eye relief, the Fullfield E1 is one of the most simple and best scopes for 308 enthusiasts who desire a simple and sophisticated optic with excellent accuracy.
Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm Rifle Scope
Part of the renowned Bushnell Banner Riflescopes series, the Banner 4-12x40mm is an outstanding high-power, variable scope for 308 shooters in long-range centerfire applications.
It features the Multi-X reticle which offers a classic sight picture and stunning HD clarity that excels in early-morning and late-evening lighting conditions — the crucial times of the day when the best hunters tag most of their game. Perfect for muzzleloaders or centerfire 308 rifles, this is a high-power, variable scope for long-range shooting.
It offers the classic Multi-X reticle sight and features Dusk & Dawn Brightness (DBB) multi-coated lenses that deliver bright, high-contrast images in low light conditions. You are sure to maximize your big-game hunting day with these precious additional minutes of clear focus.
Moreover, the Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm is very durable and will hold constant zero after hundreds of rounds. Dropping or banging this best scope for 308 will not make a difference in its ability to hold zero.
Waterproof with O-ring sealed optics that stay dry, fogproof with Argon-filled optics that are stable regardless of ambient temperature, and shockproof.
Top Selling .308 Optics on Amazon
- First Focal Plane reticle is true at every magnification
- Partial reticle illumination of the horseshoe and chevron is daylight bright
- ACSS HUD DMR 308 Reticle provides moving target holds out to 600 yards, as well as ranging, bullet drop, and wind holds out to 1,000 yards
- Calibrated for .308 Winchester and Compatible with some .223 Rem loads
- Chevron central aiming point provides an infinitely small aiming point
- 4-16x Magnification, 50mm objective, 3.5" - 3.6" of eye relief
- First Focal Plane ACSS HUD DMR .308 reticle
- 30mm main tube, High strength one-piece 6061-T6 aluminum body
- Compact design is 13.8" long and weighs just 23.5 Oz
- Premium grade glass, Steel-on-Steel precision adjustments
- BATTERY-FREE ILLUMINATION: Features a tritium/fiber optic illuminated reticle that automatically adjusts the brightness based on available light
- RUGGED ALUMINUM-ALLOY HOUSING: Forged 7075-T6 aircraft-aluminum-alloy housing provides for a nearly indestructible sighting system
- “BOTH EYES OPEN” DESIGN: The ACOG can be used as a CQB sight when shooting “both eyes open,” utilizing the Bindon Aiming Concept
- Exit pupil (mm):10. COMBAT PROVEN: No other magnifed optic has been used more in combat than the ACOG
- BULLET DROP COMPENSATING & RANGING RETICLE: The green Horseshoe ranging reticle allows for bullet drop compensation out to 1,200 meters for .308
- The 2-7x32 Crossfire II riflescope is one of many configurations in the Crossfire II line. The Dead-Hold BDC reticle is good for hunting/shooting at varying ranges where estimating holdover is a concern
- With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you'll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing
- Anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views for the user; Max Elevation Adjustment: 60 MOA
- Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in
- A single piece tube constructed from aircraft grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance. O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Crossfire II delivers waterproof and fogproof performance
- Burris Optics Scopes & Accessories
- The 6x zoom has true 1x setting for eyes open engagement
- Adjustment Range @ 100 yards: 190"
- Features all-new extended rangefinding capabilities out to 2,000 yards
- Enhanced ballistic calculator with more data and faster-aiming solutions significantly increases the distance at which you can make an ethical shot
- New wireless remote laser activation of the laser rangefinder has been added to make it easy to range your target; As always there’s no need for a smartphone, app or separate handheld range finder
- Input your cartridge’s ballistic info and the scope calculates perfect holdover at your exact distance, estimates wind drift, then gives you the perfect aiming solution (bright red dot) all at the push of a button; Just aim, range and shoot
- Four tools in one including precision optics, an internal digital inclinometer, smart dope card, and built-in laser range finder
- Model #180222 - Mark 5HD 5-25x56mm Riflescope with a Front Focal PR2-MIL reticle and a Matte finish
- M5C3 Turrets - Low Profile 1/10 Mil per click dials provide 30 Mils of adjustment in 3 revolutions (Visual and tactile revolution indicators ensure you don't get lost in the travel)
- First Focal Plane (FFP) - The reticle magnifies along with the image, so you can estimate range at all magnification settings
- Up to 20 ounces lighter than other riflescopes in its class, yet rugged enough to be mounted on any platform
- Design, Machined and Assembled in the USA. 100% Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof, and backed by Leupold's legendary customer care
- Model #180622 - VX-3HD 4.5-14x50mm Riflescope with a Duplex CDS-ZL reticle and a Matte finish
- Duplex reticle - Defined by heavy posts, stands out against cover in low light, most popular reticle in the world
- ZeroLock CDS-ZL (Custom Dial System) - Simplifies longer shots by eliminating the need for holdovers by using a dial that is customized to your gear
- Leupold's Elite Optical System - delivers unparalleled light transmission, glare reduction, and resolution for superior performance in any conditions
- Design, Machined and Assembled in the USA. 100% Waterproof, fogproof, shockproof, and backed by Leupold's legendary customer care
- The Strike Eagle 5-25x56 First Focal Plane (MRAD) scope provides the features needed to improve your long distance performance.
- XD Optical System delivers impressive resolution, edge-to-edge sharpness and greatly reduces chromatic abberation. Anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces provide superior light transmission for exceptional clarity and low-light performance.
- The RevStop Zero System offers an easy to set, rock-solid return to zero after turret adjustments. Locking turrets prevent accidental adjustments and provides fast, accurate adjustments.
- An illuminated reticle eases use in low light and against dark backgrounds.The included throw lever can be installed for quick and easy magnification adjustments.
- The scopes are nitrogen purged and o-ring sealed the for water and fogproof performance. The one-piece, aircraft grade aluminum, 34mm tube is shockproof.
- NIGHTFORCE SHV 5-20x56 - The most powerful of our SHV series performs beautifully at both close and extended ranges on varmints, big game, and for making tight groups on paper
- SPECS - It features a full 80 MOA of elevation adjustment, side parallax adjustment and ZeroSet technology which allows a quick return to your initial zero setting, regardless of how many elevation adjustments you've made
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX - Rubber Lens Covers, Cleaning Fob/ Cleaning Cloth, Owners Manual, Other Tools (Loose Allen Keys, etc)
- RETICLES - SHV 5-20x56 Scope is available with Forceplex and MOAR - 20 MOA - Center Illumination. This Scope delivers outstanding clarity, crispness and color contrast at every magnification setting
- AVAILABLE MODELS - MOAR Center Only Illumination - C535; Forceplex Center Only Illumination (N. America) - C587; MOAR Non-Illuminated - C534; Forceplex Non-Illuminated (N. America) - C586
Some Concluding Words
There is a reason why these highly respected brands have been trusted by hunters and shooters for decades. They offer superior quality and reliability to maximize the effectiveness of your .308 rifle. These scopes are sleek, sophisticated, and packed with features. They all provide excellent optical clarity, light transmission, and fast target acquisition.
These brands were chosen because they represent the best in research, design, and testing. They have been tirelessly engineered to suit your needs. Try one of these scopes out and you’ll take your shooting to the next level. You’ll probably never look at your .308 in the same light ever again.
Hi I´m lookinf for Horst Held and his antique weapons,where can I find him
Unfortunately not sure how to get ahold of him. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Sig Sauer all the way for me!